Wednesday, April 16, 2008

THOSE SWEET LITTLE DEVILS


I had just wanted to have some extra money. Little had I known that my agreement to enlighten the minds of sweet, cute, innocent children of my locality would later turn out to be an "eye opener" about how very admirable the lovely kids really are.

I started with one girl who wanted to get the computer basics right along with C programming and HTML. That was alright with me, but very soon she wanted to learn the how to surf the internet. It was all very well till she came across Orkut, after that I needed add more, need I?

Ah well, she took up commerce and somehow her parents didnt feel she needed to learn computers anymore. Then I had a group of class 8 students who were all from different schools. Four children and four different schools. And that too CBSE and ICSE boards. I got to take their Maths , Chemistry, Physics and Biology. As if that wasn't enough, an aunty from a nearby home brought her Class six child. And boy was he bad! He did all except study. His excuses were as colourful as the rainbow. He could think up all the excuses that a person employed in the corporate world also wouldnt be able to cook up. They would range from "I am ill"(the oldest) to "I have lice in my hair. I need to scratch my head".

In those days I would think of punishments that wouldnt sound hard or as a punishment at all. For some of you who don't watch news channels too much, let me add that in those days corporal punishments at school were the favourites in TV news channels, and somehow my students could remember only that to discuss.

After that there came a phase when I started admitting small children to my tutions as well. One of them was so ill-mannered, he would ask me for "Kurkure" and "Frooti", and when he wouldnt listen to me and I would scold him, he would warn me that he would tell his dad!

And then there was another boy who only like one poem, Humpty Dumpty. He would come and listen to me but his "Humpty dumpty" book must be kept open. An incident with him involved his "pooping" in my studyroom. Gosh,I cant forget the horror of it all. Thankfully his mom was so embarrased, she stopped sending him.

Oh I missed out atleast two incidents when students came to checkout my classes and never bothered to give me a call if they wanted to study or not. One of them came to read for a whole month but her mom wanted a teacher to come home and teach, later she explained when I had called her up. She feel in a canal I heard, and I wondered was it because she had failed to pay my fees. God bless her.

Then came a time when I had to give some entrance exams and I knew that it was the end of my tution career. i notified all the parents before 1 month so that they could arrange some other teachers. Although my experiences as a tution teacher werent great, I was now able to understand why certain children control their parents with all that wailing and what not! I also learnt that not all children are cute little things.

Now that I have some savings I'll be able to use them for my coaching for MBA entrance exams.

If only I had one good little student.

14 comments:

DEEPANJANA NAG said...

sweet lil' kiddoes mam!
:))
written well n an "EYE OPENER" to reality
kp blogging...waiting for more

Unknown said...

I think that was a really cool article.

Arisha said...

That was really nice of you Rose...=)...great article!

Unknown said...

Heyy Priya...

Dats really gud...:)
nice one....

so sweet of you..!!....

Anonymous said...

Priya very nice it is......
Priya is a very nice frnd
God bless you

Unknown said...

dat was really nice rose......kids will b kids aftr all.......will b waitin for more......

Sandy said...

Nicely put.....well experieneced....and rightly placed!!!!

:)))

well...just to add on....here i go....

Once, sleeping on the side upper berth of an express little did i cared for how it would feel to land bare foot at the Secunderabad station that too at 10:00AM. I woke up and climbed down to find my pair of shoes missing. Searched a lot....raising interest for the onlookers. The feeling of being the chosen one that morning at the hands of fate i looked on to the other corner of the compartment to find two kids..playing with 'em not too far from the door. With a feeling to get rid of 'em, even though at the cost of my shoes, i approached them and an anxious caring protective immortal informs me "bachhey hain"!!!!

Better call "THOSE DEVILS"....sweet n little though they might appear, looks can be deceptive.

A Phoenix said...

Priya,

That was one of the most enlightening and delightful piece of work that i have fortune to read so far. I sincerely encourage you to write more of such experiences of your life. Your narration was very good and it actually allowed my imagination to create the classroom picture having those "Little angels" doing the things you mentioned.

I would like to talk to you more and get to know you..You surely have a talent for writing. I look forward to have chat with you

Regards,
Omkar AKA Albus Dumbledore

(PS: I can be reached on omkarvkadam@gmail.com and omkar1484@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

priya....thts superb yaar...!!!

enlightns me mre on hufflepuff..loved to read it and so m leaving a comment...keep it up!!

angelina jhonson..
gryffindor..!!

rock it ..!!

Unknown said...

heyyy...this article is damn cute..u had a really great experience as teacher..believe me all kids are sweet lil things..kids r always kids..Enjoy the memories..of all pranks..of all the devils[kidss], u handled for so many days..dt's reely nice...
keep blogging..I wud lyk to hear more from u..
wid lodda love..Jayita aka Sinistra ..

Anonymous said...

Rose,

You explained your childhood and I must say that your Childhood was great...The style you used to explain is great...Mujhe rona aa rha hai...

snakecharmer said...

nice blog rose
and i am impressed after seeing ur loyalty towards ur house.
and keep writing dear
waiting for ur next blog

Astoria [Priyanka]:D

Unknown said...

Hi Priya..

That was an awesome blog..

First of all, lemme tell u, the very opening of the blog is soo expressive, with the rose u put there to show that this blog belongs to Miss ROSE Zeller.. :-)

Then the article u wrote about ur childhood Holiday Homeworks took me straight back to 1990s when those same things happened in my life too during my childhood..Like, enjoying all the hols and repenting for that later when time was insufficient during the last days of our holidays to complete that great task and all such stuff... hehe.. lovely days..

Also it is always my dream to teach while I am still a student, which unfortunately not yet come to reality till today.. This dream existed ever since I entered secondary school education.. And you realized it.. Greatttt.. Its very good not to rely upon someone else, even Dad, for the matter for money... Bcoz, the money u get thru ur hardwork gives u lots of satisfaction.. I appreciate u for that..

Last, but not the least, the way u mentioned about our beloved Hogwarts School was sooo lovely and very loyal.. Keep it up..

U sure to become great in ur life.. Keep rocking..

Have a great life ahead.. :)

-James aka Srikant

Anonymous said...

[b]great work dear!!
juz loved reading it...waiting foe mre!!![:)]